The City of DeBary contracts with Orange City for fire prevention, public education, fire suppression, and emergency medical services.
The DeBary Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1952. It remained a fully volunteer department until Volusia County took over management in 1981 and created a combination Volunteer/Paid service. In 2009, management of the DeBary Fire Department was assumed by the Orange City Fire Department which was established in 1890.
Under the leadership of Chief Long, the two Departments work as one to safeguard the lives and property of the citizens of both cities. The Firefighters and Volunteers are dedicated to reducing the impact of fire, accident and medical emergencies, potential disasters and uncontrolled events that affect our community's environment. Additionally, the department provides fire prevention education, smoke detector assistance, CPR courses, and child safety seat checks.
In Chief Long's role as Fire Chief of the DeBary Fire Department, he oversees three Divisions and other staff roles: Operations (EMS, Training, and Maintenance), Fire Prevention, and Support. Presently, there is 1 Deputy Chief, 3 Battalion Chiefs, 3 Lieutenants, and 6 Career Firefighters, and other dedicated volunteer and reserve members assigned to the DeBary station at 93 South Highway 17-92.
The Department has an ALS engine staffed with 3 firefighters (one being a paramedic) 24 hours a day. The staffing is supplemented through the use of reserve firefighters.
The Department’s Fire Prevention Division is managed by the Deputy Chief and has a Fire Marshal who conducts plans reviews, fire investigations, and fire safety inspections of all city businesses. Free home fire-safety inspections are available by appointment. The Department is fully equipped and responds with a compliment of apparatus that include: three Fire Engines, one 75’ Aerial Ladder Truck, a Transport Capable Rescue, two Military 6x Brush Trucks, and four Staff vehicles.
Serving Orange City since 1890 and City of DeBary since 2009.