City Council Meeting
City of DeBary
Subject: Joint Utility & Roadway Agreement with Volusia County
From: Ron McLemore, City Manager
Meeting/Hearing Date: January 3, 2018
( ) Ordinance
( ) Resolution
( ) Other
( X) Supporting Documents/Contracts
City Manager is requesting the Mayor and City Council to approve a joint project agreement between the City and Volusia County to design roadway and utility improvements to promote and expedite the development of the Ft. Florida Road corridor between US Hwy. 17-92 and Barwick Road at a cost not to exceed $110,000.00, and to authorize the manager to bring back a contract between the City and CPH Engineers to perform the design work.
This request is needed at this time to facilitate, promote, and expedite the development of the corridor while substantial investor interest exists in developing the corridor.
The infrastructure development cost related to development along the corridor has resulted in quality developers finding their proposed projects to be economically infeasible.
The City and County desire to mitigate this financial gap by providing two incentives as follows:
- Jointly funding the cost of utility and roadway design, and
- The County funding the cost of the construction of utilities along Ft. Florida Road between US Hwy. 17-92 and Barwick Road in the alternative of the historical policy of making developers pay the cost of extending utilities in their project sites.
Word of this agreement has already attracted a quality developer to the Costa property located on Ft. Florida Road.
Construction of improvements is subject to final agreements between the developer, County utility department and the City.
The cost of the design work, which will be shared equally, will be $179,832.00 with a $40,168.00 contingency.
The estimated cost of construction is $1 million for utility work and $1 million for roadway improvements.
The City's $110,000.00 for design will be paid from the Economic Incentive Fund.
The City's cost of the roadwork will be shared by developer contributions and City funds.
It is recommended that the City Council:
- Approve the agreement between the City and Volusia County to design roadway and utility improvements on Ft. Florida Road from US Hwy. 17-92 to Barwick Road,
- Authorize $110,000.00 to fund the design from the Economic Incentive Fund, and
- Authorized the City Manager to bring the City Council a contract between the City and CPH Engineers to perform the design services.
City Council Action:
( ) Approved As Recommended
( ) Approved With Modification
( ) Disapproved
( ) Continued Date:
( ) Other