City Council Meeting
City of DeBary
Subject: Grant Request, Council on Aging
From: City Manager
Meeting/Hearing Date: November 1, 2017
( ) Ordinance
( ) Resolution
( ) Other
(x ) Supporting Documents/Contracts
City Manager is requesting the city council to ratify a donation to the Volusia County Council on Aging for restoration of their facility damaged by Hurricane Irma, approved by the City Manager.
This request is needed at this time to assist the Council on Aging in raising matching funds to restore their facility from hurricane damage.
1) The Volusia County Council on Aging is a non-profit organization serving critical needs of seniors in all cities and the unincorporated areas of Volusia County.
2) The Council on Aging’s main office in Daytona Beach was severely damaged by storm water and septic water flooding and intrusion rendering the facility uninhabitable.
3) Glenn and Connie Ritchey, longtime supporters of the Council on Aging has announced a matching grant up to $100,000 to help restore the center.
4) The City Manager approved a $500.00 grant for the Council on Aging based upon the request being consistent with the criteria of the City Matching Grant Program
The City’s Volunteer Grant Matching Funds can be utilized since the Council on Aging serves DeBary residents, the Council utilizes volunteers to help carry out their mission, and the City’s Matching Funds requirement is easily satisfied. These grants are limited to $500.00. The City could fund any amount it deemed appropriate from the General Fund.
It is recommended that the City Council do as follows:
1) Ratify the City Manager approval of a $500.00 matching donation to the Council on Aging for restoration of the Council on Aging office damaged by Hurricane Irma in accordance with the City’s Matching Grant Program.
2) Determine if it desires to make a matching grant in excess of that amount approved by the City Manager and if what that amount would be.
City Council Action:
( ) Approved As Recommended
( ) Approved With Modification
( ) Disapproved
( ) Continued Date:
( ) Other